Sunday, September 27, 2015

Yes

     Just before the DTS students arrived, I started reading a book called Kisses From Katie, a book written by Katie Davis about her life. If you've never heard of it, basically, Katie moved to Uganda at the age of eighteen, after graduating from high school. What originally was going to be a year long stint in Africa turned into a lifetime. By the age of twenty, she had adopted fourteen Ugandan girls on top of starting a non-profit organization which helps send Ugandan children to school. She is now in her mid twenties, and is still living in Uganda as a single mom. Her ministry supports around 400 children, covering the cost of their tuition, supplies, and uniform, and feeding them.
     While  I was reading the book, I started to wonder about my own life. Katie Davis had accomplished so much by the age of nineteen. What have I done? Yeah, I'm a "missionary", but when you look at what I'm doing -living in America, teaching preschoolers- compared to what Katie is doing -starting a ministry in Uganda, moving there and adopting 14 children- it feels like it is obvious who is the "better" Christian.
     Comparison is a terrible thing. Because the truth is, we are both doing what God has called us to do. She isn't any better of a person than me just because she is adopting children and living full time in Africa. God has not called me to do that, and doing what God has called you to do is the most important thing.
     At one point in the book, Katie mentions something like this. How people will always think she is an extraordinary person. "That I am courageous. That I am strong. That I am special. But I am just a plain girl from Tennessee. Broken in many ways, sinful, and inadequate. Common and simple with nothing special about me. Nothing special except I choose to say 'yes'. 'Yes' to the things God asks of me, and 'yes' to the people He places in front of me. You can too. I am just an ordinary person. An ordinary person serving an extraordinary God." (Kisses From Katie). It doesn't matter what you are doing, because really, if God has called you to it, it is He who is doing it. Like this preschool. I did not know what I was doing when I put this preschool together. I have never done anything like it before. Yet it went from being a dorm room to a preschool classroom in a week because God is a mighty God who provides and equips us. I do not take credit for that room, because I know that it was Him. And I won't take credit for the fruit of the preschool, because I know that it is Him.
     "He [God] chose Moses. He chose David. He chose Peter and Paul. He chose me. He chose you. Common people. Simple people. People with nothing special about them. Nothing special except they said yes. They obeyed. They took the task God assigned them and they did it. They didn't always do it well, but they said yes, and with His help they did it anyway. Extraordinary tasks." (Kisses From Katie).
    God has called us each to a different life, a different task. No one's calling is any better or worse than another's. If God has called you to do something, say yes! Do it, without comparing it to the "better" calling of someone else. God knows where He wants you and who He wants you to touch. He will do amazing things with you, if only you say yes to what He has asked.
     Blessings,
          Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment