Saturday, February 7, 2015

Everything Not Cancun

Well, hola! Long time no see! Sorry I have been rather absent from here... Lack of time and internet is what is to blame! However, now I am sitting on an extremely comfortable bus with mega leg room as well as free wifi, on my way fromiee Tijuana to Mazatlan. And the bus ride is about 27 hours, so if I don't manage to write a post that will be rather sad.
     So. Goodness. I guess I shall just sum up the past 2 weeks, since we left Cancun. I don't think I told y'all much about Cancun, but you can ask me in real life when I get home in March, okey dokey?
     Well, we left Cancun bright and early on Saturday, the 24th of January . And by bright and early, I mean we left the house in the dark and rain at 5:30am. We flew to Atlanta, had a layover, and then flew to San Diego. From there we drove over the border to Tijuana. Crossing the border into Mexico was kind of a joke.... We literally just drove through! We didn't speak to anyone or pull out our passports!
     Anyway, we spent a week in Tijuana. While we were there, we built a home for a family of 4- this home was a 12 by 12 room. But the family was so grateful and blessed by it! We also went to the dump and hands out hot dogs and water to the people who live and work there. It was so heartbreaking to see the conditions and squalor that they are living in, yet at the same time, I didn't feel despair.  I could totally feel God's presence there, which was so cool! While in Tijuana, we also got to attend a class at a school that prepares people to go out as missionaries to unreached people groups. And we painted. And on our day off, we got up at like 5 in the morning to climb a mountain. I nearly died cause it was steep and I'm not exactly what you would call "in shape" ;) But the beautiful sunrise that we watched from the top was worth it. Amazing view :)
     Last Saturday, we bused about an hour away to Ticate, where we spent the next week helping at a special needs orphanage called The Mission. It was amazing there! They have 16 "kids", ranging in age from 8 to 46. Most of then are in their 20s. They have 12 girls, although we only met 11 of them since DiDi, the youngest, is in the hospital for surgery. Of those 11, only 5 could speak. I miss those sweet girls! And even the ones who could not talk really find a place in your heart quickly! We left them at 7:15 this morning, and I already miss them to pieces!
     Now we are on route to our final destination here in Mexico- Mazatlan. We will be doing evangelism at the Carnival. Prayer for boldness would be appreciated!
     Blessings,
         Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment