Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Book Review: A Habit Called Faith

      A couple months ago, I received a book entitled A Habit Called Faith by Jen Pollock Michel to read and review. It has taken me much, much longer than it should to read and review this one, but that is definitely not because the book has a lack of quality- it's actually quite insightful. It's just that this book isn't a novel or generic book- it is a 40 day guide through parts of Deuteronomy. You can't just sit down and read this book; you must also read the Bible alongside it. It's a devotional, not meant to be read quickly.

     The author, Jen Pollock Michel, takes you through eight weeks of scripture readings and meditations. In between each week, she highlights one person and their story. It's interesting to read about these people, names I wouldn't ever have heard otherwise, and their lives and journey with Christ. They aren't the "superheroes" of faith that we all know and have heard of, but they are simply regular people who strive to live a life that glorifies God. 

     The daily meditations themselves are quite well written and insightful. Usually stemming from some sort of personal anecdote, the author then goes on to discuss her thoughts and meditations on that day's passage. Every day ends with a reflection/discussion question, ones that I found helpful for me personally, as I am someone who likes to journal and reflect and explore deeper.

     All in all, if you're looking for a devotional, I'd encourage you to give this one a try. I find a good devotional can be hard to come by, so I know I always appreciate a good recommendation!

     *** Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment