Sunday, September 28, 2014

Now My Eyes Have Seen

        Growing up in a Christian home, I am not unaccustomed to spending time with God. Back at home, I would have a quiet time every night before bed, when I would read the Bible and talk to God. I hate to admit it, but all too often this time was rushed and I didn't truly spend quality time with God.
     Here, though, I have quiet time in the morning. We have it written into our schedule, a whole hour dedicated to our personal time with the Lord. I have really been enjoying this time! I am genuinely spending quality time with God and I feel so much closer to Him every day!
     One of the things that has really helped my walk with God -already!- has been classes. We have only had 3 classes since we only got here one week ago today (Oh my goodness, my friend was just saying to me that it feels like we've known each other for years! And it is true!), but we have all learned so much from them! This past week's focus was on hearing God's voice. On the second day of class, our teacher, Kathy, was talking about how she has a friend who has such a childlike faith. She talks to God about everything. Kathy told us a story about this friend, who one day was making a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast. And as she did so, she talked to God. "If there peanut butter in Heaven?" she asked. And that lead to different questions and she had this conversation with God about Heaven and what it would be like. And then another lady walked in, and she just saw the first standing there with her peanut butter toast, grinning and talking to God. The second lady freaked out "I've been fasting for days! I've been trying to get God to talk to me about something important, and you're talking to Him about peanut butter!?" And she stormed out. The first lady felt a bit sad, and then she heard God tell her "You know, if she talked to me about peanut butter, then she could hear me for the bigger things, too."
     And so then Kathy asked us if we have the type of relationship with God where we talk to Him about everything, or do we kind of put him aside until we need him. Do we talk to God about the peanut butter moments? And then she sent us outside for half an hour to have peanut butter moments with God, or just spend the time we needed with Him.
     The thing is, I always used to have "peanut butter" moments with God all the time. Back in high school (oh so long ago!), I had quite a bit of time on the bus. So every morning while I sat on the bus in the quiet, I would talk to God about anything and everything. It brought me a lot closer to God. Sadly, once I graduated, I didn't have that time anymore, unless I purposely set it aside. Which I didn't. So my "peanut butter" moments with God slowly became less and less. And while I still will have those times with God occasionally, it is certainly not as frequent as they once were. And my relationship with God did change because of that.
     So when Kathy sent us outside on Thursday, I grabbed my Bible, my ipod, and my journal and headed out into the sunshine. As I was walking towards some trees, I asked God "So, what should we do?" And I sensed God asking me "What do you like to do? What haven't you done in awhile?" And I immediately thought of reading. I love reading, as you probably know, and I haven't had the time to read for pleasure since getting here. "Okay, what Bible story should I read?" I thought to myself. "No," God told me, "I want to spend time with you while you do something you enjoy." (Not that I don't enjoy reading the Bible!)
     So I sat down under the tree, took my ipod out and opened a book ap on it. And of course, since I have Miss Match on it, I opened that book! Hee hee :) And I read it out loud to God. It was wonderful! After reading a bit, I just lay in the grass, listened to some music, and just talked to God. It was amazing. I haven't felt that close to Him in a long time!
     Our half hour was over far too quickly. We returned inside and finished up class, and then we all returned outdoors for some a spontaneous worship time. While I was sitting on the grass, a spider crawled onto my leg. And if you've ever worked with me, you know that I like to name insects and such. "Alright, God, what should we name this one?" I asked. Just like at work I sometimes asked Trish or someone else what I should name my insect "pets". Instantly, I had a name. It was a cool and uniquely Katie-ish moment with God. :)
     After we came inside from our half hour of "peanut butter" time with God, someone mentioned a Bible verse that I think really sums up this whole week in Madison. It is from the book of Job.
     "My ears had heard of you, but now my eyes have seen you." -Job 42:5
     I have always known God. I have known Him well. Yet now, I know Him even more. I truly have seen God.
     Blessings,
          Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment