Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Our Story Part Seven: Will You Marry Me?

      In December, we waited in anticipation for the arrival of Boxing Day. Because December 26 was the day that Raymond would fly to Ontario for our Christmas visit.

     Little did I know that there was so much more to look forward to than just an ordinary visit!

     I picked Raymes up at the airport early early early on Boxing Day. What we did for the rest of the day, I do not remember. Probably hung out with my family. That evening, however, we had plans. We were going to pick up some pizza and go to the church, back to the place we met and first began our friendship. We'd have a "picnic" under the "stars" (aka the twinkle lights that we had put up in the fellowship hall for Serve, which were still there at the time!) and open our Christmas gifts for each other. We did this, taking turns opening gifts until there was just one left. It was for me, and I opened it to find a journal.

     This journal was not unknown to me. Raymond had originally given it to me for my birthday back in September, and he'd written in it. It was to be a journal where we could write things to each other, or reflections to God for the other to read. I'd returned it to him in November, and now I was getting it back.

     "I want to read you something," Raymond said, grabbing the book from my hands before I could open it.

     He started to read, and very quickly was tearing up. I went over and sat on his lap, hugging him as he continued. I distinctly remember thinking "Aw, this is so sweet! He should have saved this for the proposal!"

     It wasn't until he got halfway through page 5 of 6 that I realized that this WAS the proposal.

     He ended with "Katie, will you marry me?" as he shoved me off his lap so that he could shimmy over to his coat and pull out a small black box.

     My response? "Yes. Absolutely yes!"

     And after just 5 1/2 months of dating, we were engaged.

     We hadn't even known each other for a year yet, but I knew. I knew I loved Raymond, and that I wanted to marry him. He was unlike anyone I had ever met, and he loved God with all his heart. Was it fast? Absolutely! It was fast, but we knew. We'd been forced, by the long distance, to have those deeper conversations earlier. We both knew we weren't going to invest in a relationship if it wasn't going to go anywhere.

     Our relationship moved fast, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.

     Blessings,

          Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment