Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Book Review: What Happens Next

      Now that I'm pregnant and about to pop (or at least feel that way!), I've being doing a lot more reading. I finally got a library card for my "new" city (just 2 years after I moved here), and it has definitely been well used already! 

     However, this month, I also received a novel to review. This book is titled What Happens Next and is written by Christina Suzann Nelson. This book is about podcaster Faith Byrne, who agrees to spotlight the missing persons case of her childhood friend, Heather, on her podcast one summer. Dora Crane, the mother of Heather, has never moved on from the loss of her youngest child, and refuses to accept the possibility that her daughter is dead. Together, Faith and Dora make strides to come to terms with what happened all those years ago, and each starts their path to healing.

     I did enjoy this book, although it wasn't a particularly fast paced novel (not that there is anything wrong with that, I just generally prefer faster, high tension novels). There were, of course, the aspects that weren't very realistic, and it had a general predictability to it. The characters were just those -characters. I can't say I was particularly attached to any of them emotionally, but I did cry a bit near the end (I blame that on pregnancy hormones, though!). The book is written through the perspective of three people- Faith, Dora, and through flashbacks, you slowly learn what happened through 10 year old Heather's perspective. I generally found the Heather sections the most interesting, since that was where it was revealed what happened, although there were a few revealing snippets during the present day sections as well (ones that I predicted long before they happened).

     At the end of the day, I read this book in probably 2 or 3 days, although I never felt compelled to keep reading if I didn't have to. However, because I'm 7 months pregnant with twins, I have a lot of free time (having been ordered to do as little as possible), so reading it quickly was quite easy for me.

     If you like a light, easy, slightly predictable read, this one is for you!

      *** Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment